Die from Peanut Allergy

allergic to penautsThe purpose of sharing this story is to broaden your knowledge about kinds of allergy and to make you cautious in choosing the foods when you are allergic to nuts or certain foods.

Dublin, 14-year-old girl suffered shortness of breath after eating spicy curry satai which turned out to contain nuts. She later died on the way to hospital after a pharmacy refused to give her medication.

Never give nuts to nut allergy sufferers or give chocolate to people who are allergic to chocolate. They could have severe itching, dizziness or shortness of breath after eating. Excessive allergy as mentioned above was experienced by Emma Sloan.

Emma was born to have anaphylaxis – severe allergies to certain foods. Her body reacted excessively every time she came into contact with nuts and any other same kinds. Until now there is no cure for allergies. Therefore, the only savior when sign of allergy begins to attack is to inject EpiPen which can be obtained at a pharmacy or hospital.

The sad story began when Emma and her two sisters, her mother and aunt went to an all-you-can-eat restaurant to enjoy dinner together. The pleasant moment turned to be chaotic when Emma was eating satai with curry sauce which turned out to contain nuts. Emma who had an allergic reaction was shocked and told her mother that he could not breathe.

With no time, they all hurried out of the restaurant and looked for the nearest hospital or pharmacy. In the panic and fear for the safety of her daughter, Caroline – Emma’s mother described the condition of Emma and asked a pharmacist for EpiPen, but without a prescription. The pharmacist refused Caroline’s request and advised her to bring Emma to the nearest hospital instead.
“He told me I could not get EpiPen without a prescription. He asked me to bring Emma to the A & E Department,” said Caroline, as quoted by Medical Daily, Wednesday (12/25/2013).

They left the pharmacy and ran towards the Temple Street Hospital. However, their efforts were futile because Emma passed out on the way and later died. A passing doctor tried to help. The ambulance and the fire brigade officers also tried to help. But it’s useless, she’s dead.

“My daughter died on a street corner with a crowd of people around her,” said Caroline.
“I am very angry because the pharmacy could not my daughter EpiPen to inject,” she added.

Irish Minister for Children, Frances Fitzgerald and the Irish Pharmaceutical Association conducted a full investigation of the case of Emma Sloan. Although there seemed to be no warning of “containing nuts” at the satai served in the restaurant they visited, Emma’s mother did not want to sue the restaurant.

“Emma was allergic to peanuts and she was very careful. How was nut possible to kill my daughter? I appeal to parents whose children are allergic to nuts, to make sure that their children always carry an EpiPen” said Caroline.

Hope this story is useful for you. Despite the healthy benefits of nuts, you’d better be cautious if you ever had foods allergy history.

Watch the Video below on How to Use EpiPen.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*